A Little Zipper Action

>> Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's true. Before today, I had never sewn a zipper. As I've been sewing more bags, I found this state of affairs more problematic and limiting. I read blogs and tutorials, half of which indicated zippers are hard and half of which suggested that zippers are pretty easy. All in all, I'd say the first time around went smoothly, and wasn't too difficult. Whew.

I made this pouch for my partner in the solids swap (it's stuffed with solid (+ a couple print) scraps). I used this tutorial from kelbysews, with a couple of modifications. I cut pieces 7" x 8.5" to make a slightly larger pouch. I used lightweight interfacing on the interior lining fabric and some slightly heavier interfacing on the exterior fabric (I didn't have any medium-weight at home, but this combo worked well for me). I like the addition of tabs for the zipper ends, but I would start with a wider piece of fabric to create a little more wiggle room when sewing everything together. I like the simple 2-fabric pouch I made, but if I make it again, I might add a little ric-rac or trim. All inall, a productive sewing morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous September 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM  

I really like this pouch - the simpler two-color approach appeals to me, and the colors you chose are fabulous. My favorite zipper tutorial is from twelve22:
http://www.twelve22.org/2006/07/zipper_tutorial.html

sew katie did September 4, 2011 at 1:10 AM  

I learned from the tutorial above too.

I don't sew my linings down though.

FlourishingPalms September 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

It's very nice. Congratulations on your first zipper accomplishment. I'm not surprised that it worked for you. Don't forget a zipper pull.

Norine @ Five Baht Elephant September 4, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

You did a great job on this. I'm proud of you for taking on the zipper challenge and succeeding :)

~Michelle~ September 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM  

cuteness! looks like you did a good job, it doesn't have any funny lumps anywhere, and the zipper part looks really good!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP