Late to the Party

>> Monday, September 26, 2011

But fashionably late, I think.

Anna posted a tutorial for a gathered clutch over a year and a half ago. I dutifully bookmarked it, and then shied away from it because of the zipper. Because zippers are supposed to be terrifying. But having finally conquered the zipper (it's really not that bad), I felt it was time to make one of these pretties.

Since it's a clutch and therefore small, it really doesn't require much fabric. And several of the Terrain scraps I received from Kate Spain were big enough to use. I wasn't sure how some of the more straight-edged geometric prints would fare if gathered (though now I think the answer is: ok) so  opted for the orange tone-on-tone as a pretty safe choice.

I added the credit card pockets but didn't include a divider. I think next time (and there will be a next time) I'll add the divider. I might also interface the lining. I think even a little lightweight fusible interfacing would make it a touch stronger and, actually, a little easier to sew together.

6 comments:

FlourishingPalms September 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM  

This is an adorable clutch! Your fabric choice is wonderful, and your zipper installation looks perfect.

Dana September 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM  

It's very cute! I haven't done a zipper in a really long time, and my machine and I are kind of breaking up right now...but maybe when it's behaving better. :)

Karissa September 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM  

Cute, cute! Like you, I've bookmarked the tutorial and squirreled it away in my "someday" pile... Maybe I'll eventually get to it, too!

carriebc September 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM  

love that pattern. i made one, wore it out, then made another. i used a duck canvas for strength for the lining on one and that worked really well. and i did do the divider pocket which is very useful. yours is beautiful!

Rachel D @ Just Sew Y'all Know September 29, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

I am obsessed with Anna's pattern! You did a great job on this one & I love your fabric choices!

Abby and Stephanie October 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM  

Great zippy pouch. Your zipper looks very professional. I haven't overcome zipper-phobia yet.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP