Devilish HSTs

>> Friday, November 12, 2010

A few weeks ago I started a new quilt top with an Odyssea charm pack. It's lying on my living room floor, waiting for me to finish piecing the squares and rows together (part of my incentive for meeting a big deadline today is having time to sew this weekend).

I love the way it looks, snips of thread and all. But there's something about sewing together half-square triangles that constantly challenges me. No matter how I arrange my piles, order the squares, label the fabric, or otherwise attempt to keep the design in line, some poltergeist (or my own hands) thwarts the process. I feel like I've been doing more seam-ripping than sewing -- a turned triangle, a totally mismatched seam, an errant seam allowance -- for this quilt.

What's your trick for avoiding piecing mistakes?

4 comments:

~Michelle~ November 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

I don't have any tricks - I make the same mistakes myself! But from what I can tell in the photo, everything looks spot on!

free indeed November 12, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

I have the same troubles with hsts....practice and time don't seem to make a difference either...and I've tried a miriad of different ways to make them....

MWalker November 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

I hear you. I just finished a zig-zag quilt with HST and ACK! The seams made me want to rip my hair out.

Next time I'm trying the way found here: http://aquiltisnice.blogspot.com/2008/09/zig-zag-quilt-kit-tutorial.html

If that doesn't work, well, the seams will just have to not match!

teaginny November 30, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

With HST it helps a ton to trim them up (square them up) before piecing. It is a pain, but so worth it!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP