A Neapolitan Quilt

>> Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I must confess, I don't like strawberry ice cream. Never did. Which meant I never liked Neapolitan ice cream. Vanilla is lovely, chocolate is fine, and strawberry can go away (sorbet is a different story, it's the mix of dairy and fruit that doesn't work for me).

That notwithstanding, I really love this quilt. I received several of the pinks in it through a swap earlier in the year and, as I don't use pink all that much, took a while to figure out what I wanted to do with them. I finally decided that pink and brown were the way to go; toss in some cream, a dash of yellow, and a spot of blue, and it all turned into this delicious stripy quilt.

I went improv-ish on this one, in that I cut strips of varying length, sewed them together, and then trimmed each of the 4 bigger sets into strips of the same length. I added a little cream sashing between the stripe sets, and, voila, the quilt was complete. I quilted straight lines down the cream sections and alternating zig-zags down the strip sets. I like it. And it's now washed, crinkly, and really soft.

Except for the back, of course. Where I opted for a cream with dark brown flowers and added a composite of strips leftover from the front. I then bound the quilt with a brown fabric with cream flowers.

And now it's off to my friends' Lauren and Aaron's new girl, currently referred to as Pickle, to be named for real on Friday.


Michelle August 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

That is absolutely beautiful! I love how the look together.

Becky August 12, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

I love that color combination and the stripes! What beautiful work!

Candice August 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

The quilt really pops! I love the color combination as well! :)

Micki August 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

It's a wonderful quilt! The colours are amazing!

lauren August 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

Pickle loves it! She is sleeping underneath it right this very second.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP