Miracle Foundation Quilt #1

>> Thursday, August 27, 2009


After spending a lot of time with the cool end of the color spectrum, I needed to experience the warmer end of the spectrum. Fortunately, I had a task that demanded using warm colors and, luckily, when I returned from New York, several packages of fabric awaited me. Thanks to the generosity of Lise, Jocelyn, Michelle, Grace, and Jen, I have a lot of red/pink/orange/yellow fabric to work with for the Miracle Foundation quilts. Yes, that's a plural quilts. Given the amount of fabric they so kindly donated (for which proper thank you notes and a small gift will be in the mail soon), I plan to make more than one, maybe even more than 2.


So I plunged in this week, trying to emulate a pattern I saw in a store, (sort of) committed to memory, and tried out this week. The idea is that improv stripy blocks surround improv quarter log cabins that surround a different color (in this case, not red). I'd say it sort of worked. I made 5.5" blocks, and the design might show off the other color bursts better with larger blocks and thus larger bursts of other colors. Even if most of the yellows, oranges, and pinks stay in the background, I like the quilt, and think it will provide a lot of visual interest for kids in the orphanage.


The back is a swirly red and black, while the binding is a red with white swirls. Next up on the Miracle Foundation quilt list is another -- and bigger -- improv log cabin. I'm hoping to get a lot of it done next week in part because I'd like to donate the extra fabric to IBOL, and the deadline for that is September 7. If that doesn't happen, I'll use the extra fabric for more donation quilts.

Speaking of IBOL, check out this post if you haven't already seen it. Robin writes in and about the spirit of Ted Kennedy, reminding us of his insistence on bettering the world around us:

"All of us will ultimately be judged, and as the years pass we will surely judge ourselves on the effort we have contributed to building a new world society and the extent to which our ideals and goals have shaped that event."
[from Ted Kennedy's eulogy of Robert Kennedy, 1968]

3 comments:

Grace August 27, 2009 at 7:46 AM  

Another beautiful creation.
I just packed up a box for IBOL - thanks to you for spreading the idea. I have told every one I can think of - it is such a wonderful idea.

Lise August 27, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

I love it! It's fun to see my little bits mixed in with everyone else's. Thanks for doing this. :-)

Jocelyn August 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

The quilt looks great! Love all the vibrant color. Great job :-)
Jocelyn

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP