Iraqi Bundles of Love

>> Friday, August 14, 2009

Posts from Jacquie and Kathy showed up on my blog reader tonight; both pointed me toward Kristin's blog and latest project. Her husband is currently serving in Iraq and has created a short-term project, Iraqi Bundles of Love. The basic idea is to collect and distribute fabric, notions, and other raw sewing materials (along with yarn/needles if that's your thing). Much like other micro-efforts (micro-finance, micro-business, micro-lending, etc), this projects helps give Iraqi women and tailors the raw materials with which to make things for their families or to sell and earn money to support their families. As Kristin notes, this is about embracing diversity and sharing resources, not about proselytizing in any way. The distribution of goods will take place in September and will coincide with Ramadan.

For more info, check out the FAQs and then gather anything you have to send. I've experienced the generosity of several of the readers of this blog (thanks to all who sent me scraps for the quilts I'm making; proper thank you notes will make it into the mail soon) and I'm sure many of you can find something to send along.

4 comments:

Grace August 14, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

This is wonderful. I checked it out and posted about it on my blog today too. Thanks for tuning me in to this great opportunity to help.

IBOL Guy August 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

So, we had a meeting later yesterday, about the bigger project. One of the two chaplains present commented on the theme of giving that is such a key component of Ramadan. He then asked about the fabric and knitting supplies, and I told him there was some coming. Some, like maybe a few hundred bundles. That knitters and quilters seem to understand the whole thing about giving.

I don't think he was ready for the whole "hundreds of bundles of love" thing. But then again, I doubt the mail folks are, too.

Note to self -- need to stop in and warn them.

Thank you, BTW. This has had me on cloud nine this whole time.

Sara August 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

This is a great cause and lots of bloggers are joining in!

two hippos August 16, 2009 at 10:52 PM  

I'm so glad so many people are getting behind the project. What a great one!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP