Purple

>> Thursday, April 12, 2012

Purple is a finicky color. Or I'm finicky about purple. I like it, but I don't like a lot of purple fabrics. It occupies the least space in my stash (to put it in perspective, I have much more pink fabric than purple fabric, and I could easily live my life without any pink in it). There have been more "good" purples of late, especially on the cerise end of the deep purple spectrum, but very few deep bluish-purples. But I know several people who love purple and like to find ways to include it.

This challah cover was a long time coming. Or just really really late. Sivan and Igor, a pair of my closest friends, moved to LA and bought a house. More than 12 months ago. And I intended to make them a challah cover as a housewarming gift. When I visited them in November, after they'd been in their house for more than a year, I planned to bring said gift. But it existed only in my head, and even there it was a mere figment, with no real plan other than using some purple.

When I playing with all sorts of rainbow road quilts, I had a few extra purples. Like three, maybe four, 5" squares. Not really enough for much. But they played well with creams and browns, and the purple-brown-cream combo is, I think, adult and gender-neutral and not-frilly and very Sigor. The challah cover now lives in LA, where it is probably stashed somewhere during Passover (two more days...I can handle two more days of always feeling slightly hungry, right?), and will make appearances anew when bread is again permissible.

6 comments:

torie April 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM  

Very Sigor. But your sideways hangers are making me dizzy.

~Michelle~ April 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM  

I agree with the purple commentary! I love it, but have a hard time finding fabric that I like :) My latest favorite has been the Joel Dewberry Heirloom blockprint blossom in amethyst.

So I learned something new lately, courtesy of my favorite famous Nebraskan, Mr. Warren Buffett. A rabbi in Omaha approached him with the odd business transaction of purchasing the temple's leavened breads prior to Passover. Buffett had never heard of such a practice (nor had I), but agreed to the whopper $3 purchase and promptly donated his box of goods to the Omaha food bank. I think everyone was a winner for that transaction!

Kat April 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM  

Purple is definitely hard to work with. I love the way it looks with the browns and creams, though. It tones down the "PURPLE!!!!" look but still lets it be "purple." Beautiful!

Nicole April 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM  

Beautiful! The neutrals really balance out the purple.

FlourishingPalms April 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM  

Your challah cover looks plays nicely against the dark brown siding. I like the purple, a lot!

Carla April 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM  

I have some purple fabric but it's not really fabric I care to use in a quilt or anything else. Funny because I do like purple but the western theme prints seem to dominate my stash. hmmm

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP