This is a Map

>> Monday, December 12, 2011

Image from here

I may have previously mentioned a love for maps. I can look at maps pretty much forever, and I love teaching maps. "What counts as a map?" generally elicits a wide range of great responses. Maps are fascinating in part because cartographic representations can take so many forms. Moreover, until the recent explosion of artsy maps (which started to gain prominence, I think, with Ork posters), it was relatively easy to forget about cartographers as thinkers and artists. I just saw the maps by These Are Things on design*sponge, and I find them quite compelling as art.* I'm still on the lookout for a Detroit map like this, but in the meantime, I'm happy with DC.

The past week has been a whirlwind of settling back in, feverishly working on a fellowship application, and making treats for holiday parties (and attending said parties). One of the things I noticed in New Zealand was the presence of savory muffins and scones. I started playing with a recipe this weekend and, when I've worked it out, I'll share it here. The party feedback was positive -- now I just need to recapture what I actually did!

Having now submitted the fellowship application due in five minutes, I will reward myself with some sewing tonight. Which means this blog may return to its crafty origins soon.Hopefully. Maybe.

*Dear Mom. This print would look marvelous in my living room. Just letting you know. love, your daughter.

3 comments:

felicity December 12, 2011 at 11:39 PM  

I, too, love me some maps. Heck, give me a road atlas and a cup of coffee and I'm good for the afternoon!

Unknown December 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM  

I am obsessed with maps myself. I think they're awesome. We have one up in the house with pins in it of every place we've been.

sews1128 December 14, 2011 at 10:12 PM  

Dear Ronit, Thanks for letting me know what you want for Chanukah--the map is yours! Love, Mom

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP