Scales and Dots

>> Thursday, May 27, 2010

A couple weeks ago Kathy mentioned a quilt drive through BASICS/Promesa. This South-Bronx-based organization helps disadvantaged families in an array of ways and Victoria has spearheaded a quilt drive for those that the organization is moving into housing. I realized I had contributed multiple quilts to several organizations in 2009 but none yet in 2010. As a result, I plunged into my stash and had fun improvising my way to this soft yellow and purple quilt.

To be honest, I like the far-away picture of the quilt better than the close-up but this one gives a sense of the quilting and shows off some of the fabrics as well. To make the quilt, I grabbed fabric and cut 3" strips. I then cut the strips into smaller squares and rectangles and started piecing. I knew I wanted pieced strips of different lengths to which I added the background yellow (from Moda, maybe 1930s yellow? I wish solids had selvage labels....but I heartily endorse Moda Bella Solids as they're soft, pretty, and easy to work with).

For the back, I pieced together a couple of flannel pieces that I had left from other quilt backs. It's therefore a very soft and warm quilt.

I feel like I'm on a roll with bindings -- picking a fabric and color that's not necessarily in the quilt but helps make the quilt work. I'm not a pink person but I've been drawn to magentas of late and I found that the magenta/pink dot combo really worked here. I think the quilt sparkles in a way it would not with a purple or black binding (other options under consideration).

I've got another quilt to contribute in the works -- it just needs a binding and it'll be ready to send off!

2 comments:

Micki May 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

Beautiful quilt...I love the binding!
Micki

Victoria Findlay Wolfe July 1, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

Thank you so much for your kind generous heart!
I look forward to the fall, when I will get to hand deliver these quilts personally... The quilts are veryuch needed and appreciated!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP