Dipping Into the Crayola 64-Pack

>> Sunday, March 21, 2010


Chez Two Hippos hosted lots o' quilting this weekend, but most of it is in-progress and not yet ready for public consumption to be revealed to those who will receive said items. However, I embarked on a small project tonight that will accompany a quilt being shipped off to its new owner tomorrow. Its new owner has an older brother and, as an oldest child, I am well aware that it is critical to send the displaced older child a gift when sending something to the newborn (besides, until said newborn grows up and can talk, the older child is far more interesting to me).

I whipped up a crayon roll, using this tutorial. It turns out, they're quite easy to make. I had all the supplies on hand and it didn't take too long to put together. Now that I've made one, future ones will be even easier and quicker to put together. I had to sort through a few crayon boxes to come up with a rainbow of unused crayons, but that's why it's handy that I own at least 3 boxes of such drawing instruments. The ribbon is a velour black ribbon I found in my ribbon box. If I make more, I might invest in some fun thin grosgrain options.

I used Amy Schimmler's frog fabric (for Robert Kaufman) on the outside of the roll. The frogs seem pretty chipper and colorful.


On the inside, I opted for some green (the background) and turquoise and yellow watercolor-y stripes (the pocket). The stripes made stitching the individual crayon pockets very straightforward.


Okay, I'm just obsessed with cool crayon pics. The lighting wasn't fantastic, being indoors and night and all, but I had fun playing with my camera and figuring out how to photograph the roll.

5 comments:

Angie March 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

That is so cute! I'm a sucker for frogs!!! Love it! I have been wanting to do one of these.....I have 5 kids~you would think I would have at leave 5 of them around here! HA! Just haven't braved it yet. I will be checking out the tutorial though.

Thanks!

Angie

Micki March 22, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

What a cute project!
I love frogs!
Micki

sews1128 March 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

The big brother sure is lucky to have such a creative "aunt". Love the froggy fabric.

Carla March 23, 2010 at 3:10 PM  

What a really neat idea! I'll have to try to make one of these for myself.

Unknown March 24, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

What a cute idea! Might have to make those for some cute little family members

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP