Love in a (Snowy) Mist

>> Friday, January 20, 2012

It may be a few months late, and I may be taking advantage of needing to charge my camera to post this, but my first do.Good Stitches quilt is complete. Way back in October, I asked my group, Empower, to make "Love in the Mist" blocks. I sewed the blocks together in 5 quads, and added more white to give the blocks space to breathe (quilt blocks need a lot of oxygen, clearly).

I took the final block and much yardage to the Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild retreat a couple weekends ago. My subtraction skills were a little lacking when I cut the pieces to flank the quad unit, which led to much annoyance with myself. But there's always a way to recover, and in this case, the back was a little slimmer than intended, but it worked out. As Rossie remarked, my quilting stories frequently involve mismeasurements or unplanned detours due to insufficient yardage. Which have all worked out just fine, so mismeasure away!

I have included this gratuitous shot simply because I love it. But I will take this opportunity to note that I quilted the top in a rectangular grid of sorts -- which is much more visible on the image of the back, above. I used both orange and gray thread on the front, and gray thread on the back. The gray performed beautifully while the orange bled in a couple of spots. I'm working on removing those stains before I drop it off.

Teal Ta-Dot binding gave the quilt just the pop it needed. I think may be my new favorite fabric. Or maybe I just love teal (true statement) and therefore have been missing this fabric all my life. I'm just about out of it but Brenda, my always-hilarious local dealer of all things delightful in fabric, promises me she has more on order. When I get back to Michigan, I'll buy some more Teal Ta-Dots and drop Love in a (Snowy) Mist off at Alternatives for Girls, where all of the dGS:Empower quilts will go.

8 comments:

Alli January 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM  

I really love the way you did the orange and gray quilting on the front! I rarely quilt with thread that will stand out, but I love it here! :)

Dree January 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM  

I like the use of negative/positive space--it makes the quilt move. And I really love the back :)

Esch House Quilts January 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM  

Love the idea that quilt blocks need a lot of oxygen - I totally agree :)

Love how the quilt turned out.

Kelli January 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM  

It's great! I like the different colored quilting too. Great job!!!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ January 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM  

The quilt looks fantastic. I, too, often mismeasure or misguess, which leads me in all sorts of directions when I realize my mistake. Yours obviously turned out for the best!!! :)

I love the binding, too! Ta dot--I will have to remember that.

Molly January 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM  

Gorgeous quilt! I don't use patterns so my quilt making involved DAYS (hours) of math and I usually have something not come out right. That's where my improv skills grow. Always a sunny side!

Katie January 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM  

So pretty! I love the way you showed it too!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP