Spring Ahead

>> Saturday, March 12, 2011

It's a good thing that NPR informed me that we're springing ahead, time-wise, tonight because I might not have realized it otherwise. Clock-switching also wreaks a touch of havoc on my sleep patterns as I'm one of those people for whom light is the best alarm clock. Actually I'm pretty good at setting and responding to mental alarm clocks (my ability to wake up 3 minutes before my alarm goes off is both a blessing and a curse), but light is the key factor in my rising. In a dark room, I can sleep in. Otherwise, it's not going to happen. Now this doesn't mean I pop out of bed immediately, because I don't; rather, I lie in bed, semi-awake listening to Morning/Weekend Edition, thinking, or, if more awake, reading (a decadent treat). So whenever the time switches, it takes me about a week to get used to the new light situation (more or less) after which my circadian rhythms adapt to the slight day-by-day changes quite easily.

But speaking of spring, I've also made progress on my pojagi DQS10 quilt. It's almost done. I need to decide how I'm going to add a label, which is a DQS requirement, in a way that doesn't detract from the design. I also need to decide how to finish the quilt -- whether I want to add a more traditional quilt binding or whether I'll fold the edges in and sew, sort of like a hem, but also more in line with the pojagi technique. I think the latter would be more fitting but I'm not sure I trust my ability to iron and sew the edges in a straight line. I might practice first and see how it goes.

3 comments:

~Michelle~ March 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM  

Is the fabric too dark to write on directly? Because you could just write the label on one of the seams (that way, you wouldn't see it explicitly). And could you use a hem guage to help you iron over a seam allowance for the binding? (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd10304)

Anonymous March 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM  

I also wake best with sunlight, so I've added a layer to my morning alarms. I plugged an inexpensive lamp (mine looks like a can that sits on the floor and shines up) into a timer and set it to turn on about 30 minutes before I need to get up. 15 minutes before I need to get up, my iPod begins playing. As a last resort, there's an obnoxious alarm clock, but I don't usually get that far. You can actually buy "wake up lights" (check Amazon) that brighten gradually and have radio or nature sounds. but they cost around $100.

Emily March 13, 2011 at 12:46 AM  

I love the quilt! I see that someone has already suggested to write the label in the seam. You can use a fine point sharpie then heat set it with your iron. I do this to write prayers into the seam allowances of quilts before binding them. :) It works great.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP