Pojagi Complete!

>> Thursday, March 17, 2011

I finished up "Bom," my pojagi panel for DQS10. I finally decided to approach the binding as a rolled hem. I realized that I couldn't iron a quarter-inch seam, but I could iron a half-inch seam. As a result, I ironed the half-inch and then folded the edge into the fold and ironed again -- the same way I make handles for bags. This worked well and will be my new go-to method.

The picture makes the two shot cottons look more starkly different than they do in person. What's neat in person is that, depending on the light, the panel can look like it contains 4 different fabrics. Because the warp and weft of the fabric use different colors, the orientation of the piece of fabric alters which thread color looks stronger. The lighter green therefore sometimes looks more blue or more yellow, while the darker green looks more bright green or more gray-green.


As the picture shows, it's cherry blossom season in DC. Since my partner loves Japanese fabrics, this seems like perfect timing. It also means that spring is truly about to arrive, and I look forward to the realization of the weatherman's prediction of mid-60s and sun today and mid-70s tomorrow on Friday. Now I will be inside most of the day at the archives, but I'm hoping to duck outside for lunch at the very least. While spring is not my favorite season, it is DC's finest season, and I will enjoy the advent of what I like to call "chaco weather" earlier than it arrives in the Midwest.

The cherry trees were, of course, a gift from Japan to the United States. For those looking for a way to help Japan as it recovers from the recent earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear crisis, google is helping coordinate donations to reputable groups as well as help people locate loved ones.

6 comments:

Michele March 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM  

The Pojagi panel quilt is gorgeous, and the photo with the cherry blossoms is wonderful.

~Michelle~ March 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM  

One of these years, I will be in DC during the peak of cherry blossom season! The quilt looks fantastic, and great solution for the binding! How did the label turn out?

Elsa March 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

so inspiring ~ this piece is beautiful! ever since you posted it, I've been wanting to do one. thanks so much for sharing it.

RWL March 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM  

oh how i miss those beautiful cherry blossoms of dc. spring is definitely on its way!

Anonymous March 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM  

This is beautiful, I love the colours ! A Pojagi is definitely on my to-do list.

Unknown March 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM  

Wow - this turned out so great! I'd never seen (nor heard) of this type of quilt before. Very neat!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP