Friday Recipe: Spinach Pie

>> Friday, March 6, 2009

This is an easy dish packed with all the vitamins spinach has to offer. It's simple to multiply the recipe which makes it great for dinners at home or potlucks. Add a salad and soup, and you've got a dinner.


Spinach Pies
Makes 2 pies

Crust (look here for a simple recipe)
20 oz. frozen, chopped spinach
16 oz. ricotta (part-skim okay)
2 eggs
salt
pepper
garlic powder
shredded cheese (your choice -- mozzarella and cheddar both work but yield different tastes)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Defrost spinach and squeeze out excess water (I usually put it in my metal strainer and use a potato masher to remove the water).

3. Place the spinach in a large bowl, add spices to taste, and mix well.

4. Add ricotta and eggs (beaten or beat in the bowl) and mix well.



5. Pour into crusts.

6. Top with shredded cheese.

7. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

8. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mary L. March 6, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

That looks very similar to a Czech dish I make called prisznac. No crust and cottage cheese in place of the ricotta. I make it for holidays and it's one of my husband's favorites.

two hippos March 6, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

That's great to hear about another similar dish. I learned about this one from a friend and it may have its roots in a variation of prisznac. Sometimes I make this one without a crust and I can imagine cottage cheese would be quite good in it.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP