Friday Recipe: Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes

>> Friday, January 23, 2009

I was deliberating about whether to post a recipe for cauliflower soup or whole-wheat chocolate chip pancakes. The chocolate won out, in part because my morning called for them. But I ate them before I took pictures (I was hungry), so you'll have to imagine the goodness. Here's some chocolate chips to jumpstart that imagination.

image from here

Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Makes ~ 10 pancakes

1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
1 c. white flour
1.5 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt (scant)
1.25 c. skim milk
3 tbsp. melted unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
(white) chocolate chips
oil

1. In a large bowl, sift or mix the whole-wheat flour, white flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

2. Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the milk, melted butter, beaten egg, and vanilla. Mix -- but don't overmix. Some clumps are ok.

3. Let rest for about 10 minutes (or until you see little bubble indicating the baking soda/powder is doing its job).

4. Oil the skillet and set it over medium heat. Drop 1/4 cup of the pancake mixture and add as many or as little (white) chocolate chips as desired. When it starts to look golden brown, flip, and cook the other side.

5. Eat.

Notes:
*I love white chocolate, so I often add white chocolate chips or a mixture of white and milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips.

*The basic whole-wheat pancake recipe can clearly be used for other types of pancakes. Simply add the toppings of your choice. Or add no toppings and have plain pancakes with syrup or jam.

*The size of your skillet or griddle will obviously determine how many pancakes you can make at once. I often turn the oven to 200 and place the pancakes on a plate in the oven to stay warm while I cook the rest.

*This recipe is easily doubled, tripled, quadrupled...whatever you need.

2 comments:

Anonymous February 27, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

I think you should specify unsalted butter ... this batter is wayyy too salty. Even after I doubled it without salt it didn't turn out right.

two hippos June 25, 2011 at 10:35 PM  

Fixed. I only use unsalted butter which I have now specified. I've never had a problem with them being too salty; however, using 1/2 tsp salt would probably be fine, chemically speaking.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP