Friday Recipe: Savory Sweet Potatoes

>> Friday, November 28, 2008

Your kitchen may be brimming with leftovers today, but you also may have extra raw ingredients. If you're looking for something to do with extra sweet potatoes, this is one of the very few sweet potato dishes I really like. As I noted with the pumpkin soup recipe, I'm not a fan of sweet pumpkin/potato/squash dishes. If it has onions and garlic, however, I'll probably like it. My dad makes one version of this dish and my friend Sivan makes another. You can decide which you prefer or which elements you'd like to combine.


Dad's Version: Sweet Potatoes and Onions
Makes a lot

4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 medium Vidalia onions, sliced
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic pepper
1 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients in a 9x13 pan. Mix to coat with oil and spices.


3. Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes or until tender (time will depend on size of potato slices).

Sivan's Version: Sweet Potato and Leek Dish

Makes a lot

4 medium sweet potatoes, sliced
2 leeks, sliced
olive oil
salt
pepper
rosemary

1. Preheat oven (between 350-400 degrees depending on what else you need to cook)
2. Mix sweet potatoes and leeks in 9x13 pan.
3. Add a layer of olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary (to your liking).
4. Mix everything.
5. Bake at 350-400 (depending on what else you need to bake) until tender -- about 25-35 minutes.

Notes:
*If you have a food processor, it's the easiest way to slice the potatoes quickly. The baking time will depend on how thinly the potatoes are sliced which in turn depends on your food processor blade. Or, of course, you can use the very high tech gadget I use in my apartment: a knife. [Anyone who wants to donate a food processor to my cause is welcome to send it my way.]

*You can add other spices as you like -- thyme, sage, oregano all come to mind as good options.

*I like garlic, so I would add garlic to Sivan's version even though the recipe doesn't call for it.

*If you line the pan with tinfoil and/or coat it with cooking spray, it will be easier to wash later.



p.s. happy birthday mom!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP