Step-by-Step

>> Tuesday, October 23, 2012


120 6.5" squares waiting to be turned into a quilt. A commissioned wedding quilt for a couple getting married in December. The instructions were wonderfully simple: come up with a quilt for a couple whose apartment has a cream/brown/green color scheme. I toyed with several ideas for the quilt, mostly thinking about wide improv pieced curves, a larger version of this challah cover in a different color scheme. But then I saw Felicity's Sea Glass on Sand quilt, I quickly formed a new plan.


I dug into my collection of solid neutrals, added a few more from my (local) quilt shop Pink Castle Fabrics, and started cutting. Moda Snow dominates, as I had some yardage of it, but the pile also includes Moda Porcelain, Kona Snow/Putty/Oyster/Parchment, Fig Tree Cream, and unlabeled neutrals from my scrap bin. I had more shades of green and fewer shades of brown than I expected (or realized). But a sufficient spread to keep the corners interesting. I considered mixing in some prints, but I like the look of all solids.

I'm still considering adding in a few punch of mulberry (shot cotton, that is). I plucked three squares from the pile before trimming so I can play with the layout and change my mind, rip out some seams, and insert a few dots of difference. I usually dread trimming and squaring blocks. But a few episodes of Dexter (I'm still on Season 5) made the work less tedious. The blocks are trimmed and ready for my design floor. Once I sweep and vacuum said floor, anyways.

p.s. In anticipation of Pink Castle Fabrics' move into a new brick and mortar space, everything in the shop is 25% off through the end of October, with the code MOVING. Depending on when you place your order, I might just get the chance to cut and package it for you.

4 comments:

felicity October 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM  

So happy to be an inspiration! I'm looking forward to seeing the top.

This layout definitely benefits from some punch/sparkle so the mulberry might be just the ticket. Have fun!

Kelli October 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM  

Oooh, I can't wait to see this one. I think the mulberry might make a nice punch of color. And I'm headed to Pink Castle now... :)

~Michelle~ October 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM  

I totally have NKOTB stuck in my head now... Step by step, ooh baby! Gonna get with you gir-ir-irl...

And I third (fourth?) the mulberry insertion!

And I've already made a 25% off purchase (and received it on Saturday).

Karissa October 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM  

Sounds (and looks) like a great plan! And ooh, you're cutting fabrics for Pink Castle? Do tell!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP