Sewing: It Still Happens

>> Friday, October 5, 2012

The Jewish holiday season, some travel, a chapter deadline, and a few other obligations conspired to make me take an unintentional sewing hiatus. It's kind of hard to sew while on a plane, in synagogue, or while furiously typing. (Though if I could multi-task simultaneous dissertation writing and sewing, I would be a superhero. Just sayin'). In any event, I granted myself some sewing time this week as a reward for submitting said dissertation chapter (incentives: they work). I've had a quilt block in my head for a few weeks now, and decided to test it out. Often this means drawing on some graph paper before cutting and piecing, but this time I decided to go for the direct brain to fabric option.

Mental math is pretty awesome, but sometimes comes with a bit of imprecision. I won't say exactly how many times I had to rip out seams on each of these blocks (probably more than once but less than a handful -- let's keep it in general terms), but there was some mental cursing and aggravated looks directed at the blocks. Millimeters are finicky things, in case that was unclear. Last night the Southeast Michigan Crafty Meet-up allowed me finish some blocks and start sewing them together. At which point a number of people noticed that my quilt color scheme coordinated with my wardrobe (Atomic Washi, woot!), and documentation of this occasion became necessary. One friend has asked why there is a traffic light in the background, and since I don't know, I welcome all suggestions and stories as to how and why a traffic light would find its way into the scene.

6 comments:

~Michelle~ October 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM  

I'm with you on the sewing hiatus, but for a couple of different reasons (although travel is one!). Those blocks kind of remind of me Good & Plenty candy (albeit in different colors).

And the traffic light? Just because! I had a friend in college who had one (but it was a huge light, like 6' tall), just because he was able to buy it for $20.

felicity October 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM  

The best part about the traffic light is that it appears to be wired and therefore functional! Maybe some kids who use the space take their "red light/green light" REALLY seriously?

The dress + your wonderful project look fab together.

Congrats on the completed chapter of the dissertation. I use quilt-related incentives too. They DO work!

FlourishingPalms October 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM  

Your Atomic Washi top is a traffic-stopper, hence the need for a traffic light. It's really cute, as is your lozenges-looking quilt.

Dorie October 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM  

there you are, looking super cute and happily matchy!

Karissa October 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM  

Looks great, and cute Washi! Is that #2? I'm still making, too, but seem to be on a bit of a blogging hiatus. Hmm.

Kelli October 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM  

I love the atomic washi but the quilt top is cool too! I would have the hardest time with just making up a pattern with curves and having it all match up. I'm a great pattern follower, but designer, not so much!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP