Yes, Virginia, She Can Sew

>> Thursday, December 15, 2011

It's taken awhile, but I finally used my sewing machine and started putting together the October do Good Stitches bee quilt. I played with a lot of ideas about how to use all the blocks (mostly in my head). I knew I didn't want to just sew all the blocks together as I thought it would be too busy.

I contemplated uneven rows or rows unevenly spaced, but ultimately decided to make 5 big blocks of 4 stars each. I'm going to sash each of the big blocks and hopefully create some floating big blocks. I may get a little improvisational as I sash. Since I now have 5 big blocks, I'm going to use 4 on the front and 1 on the back.

Having now seen all the awesome blocks that my group sent me, I have to confess that I love the solids (none of which I made) the most. Maybe I'm just in a solids-place, loving solids anyways. But there's something about the crispness of the blocks that really appeals to me. Don't get me wrong, I still like the others; I'm just lauding simplicity at the moment.

After I had sewn the blocks together and was arranging them to take pictures, I realized that this block looks pretty damn cool when set on point. I briefly considered ripping out the blocks and remaking the quilt on point with white blocks in between each star block. But then I recognized the insanity and opted to file that layout away for another time.

3 comments:

FlourishingPalms December 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

Well maybe you don't want to put the individual blocks on point, but you could sure put the group of four blocks on point. That would be very visually effective. These are gorgeous blocks, and I'm not even fond of stars!

Michelle December 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

Those are so pretty - I love the way the solids work with the prints!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP