Scarfing

>> Sunday, February 27, 2011

Last week was a scarf-filled week for some, though not for me. I missed a workshop on scarfing -- the art of wearing scarves. So scarfing wasn't the actual workshop topic, but it turns out scarfing can be an effective way to promote events when the speaker is an expert scarf-er (some women are very talented in the art of scarfing). And although not the main topic, scarves were displayed and discussed. Later in the week, I got in trouble for wearing a scarf at the archives. Well, I got in trouble before entering the archives as the security guard (very nicely) told me I had to remove my scarf and return it to my locker as "no scarves allowed" prevails in the archives (silk kerchiefs, however, are acceptable). That day was a little chilly.

My current work situation therefore curtails my scarf-wearing. But I really do like wearing and making scarves. I made my own version of Anna Maria Horner's infinity scarf with some voiles from her Little Folks collection. I adjusted the tutorial in a couple of ways: I chose voile for both sides, I used 9" cuts (rather than 18"), and I machine-sewed the scarf closed. I'm sure velveteen would make for a rich winter scarf, but I don't own any and the voile version is great year-round. I found 9" to be just fine: I can wrap the loop around 4 times and it takes up plenty of room as is. An 18" version seems like it would be ginormous (which could be a benefit). Finally, I lack the patience to hand-stitch anything. I therefore machine-stitched the very last step and used three parallel lines to make it look finished. Frankly, given the way the scarf loops around one's neck, it's hard to find, much less see, the sewn section. I've had this for a few weeks and love it.

2 comments:

Michele February 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM  

"Scarfing" - I love it!

I remember working a woman - not the sharpest knife in the drawer - but I was mesmerized by her ability to accessorize her outfits with scarfs (and jewelery).
Everyday there was some knew way the scarf was worn or attached to her clothing.

~Michelle~ February 27, 2011 at 10:40 PM  

Ooh, I need to remember your mods - I want to make the scarf, but it seems too big, especially in SoCal!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP