DQS Design Decisions

>> Thursday, February 10, 2011

Image credit: The Silly BooDilly

I first learned about Pojagi, a Korean patchwork style, from Victoria's blog. It uses the seams created by sewing 2 pieces of fabric together as a design element, rather than an unfortunate byproduct that needs to be hidden. Some DQS partner-stalking (all good-natured, of course), I realized that my partner seems to like Japanese fabrics and Asian-inspired design. I posted a question about Pojagi, since the finished product is different than a standard quilt. After receiving positive feedback and interest from DQSers, I decided to go with this new technique (for which Victoria handily posted a tutorial).

She recommends using thinner fabrics (e.g., muslin instead of quilting-weight cotton) and lighter shot cottons in particular. Shot cottons are solids woven with different colors in the warp and the weft, thus creating a more visually interesting solid. I found some blue, green, and grey options that I'm contemplating, though I'm still on the lookout for the right color. I think this is an "I'll know it when I see it" situation, and I've been drawn toward purples of late. Maybe purple with a touch of blue or grey? There's also something about green (thinking of spring?) that seems appealing as well. Decisions, decisions...

4 comments:

~Michelle~ February 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

Have you seen RK voile? That is really sheer and I think it may work well. I used it with the AMH voiles on a quilt, and I hated that I could see the seams through it - but if you're deliberately trying to show seams, then I think it would work beautifully! And as a bonus, it's about half the cost of a shot cotton, I think... I paid about $3/yard at a discount store, so it's probably $5/yard online...

Anonymous February 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM  

lucky partner - the pojagi is a great effect. It's been on my list to play with for a while now.

Elsa February 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM  

I really like this design and idea! it's really beautiful. I do stained glass designs and always thought fabric, when held up to the light, looked so much the same. I've got to try this! Thanks so much.

Karissa February 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM  

Gorgeous inspiration, and great idea! Can't wait to see the final product!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP