A Challah Cover in Chicagoland

>> Friday, October 22, 2010

I had the pleasure of going to Chicago for a couple of days earlier this week. We had a 2-day fall break, I have a lot of friends in Chicago, and some friends from out of town were there. It was a wonderful trip, filled with good times and catching up with friends as well as excellent, excellent vegetarian food. I highly recommend both the Chicago Diner (incredible veggie reuben) and the Blind Faith Cafe (stellar Mongolian stir-fry). I also got to give this challah cover to friends who recently moved to Evanston and bought their first home.

The challah cover combined a partial dresden plate with one of my new favorite fabrics: lightweight dark denim. I picked this denim up when I got the denim I used for Beth's bag. It's a touch darker and much less heavy -- somewhere between quilting cotton and home-dec weight cottons. It's really easy to sew with and looks great with so many quilting fabrics. In particular, Laura Gunn's Lantern Bloom really shines next to it, and I think a quilt may emerge. But I digress...


I had made the dresden plate a few weeks ago and struggled to find the right color to set it on. Denim answered that question, but I was still uncertain about what fabric to use for the center. I tested out quite a few options -- mostly reds, but a couple blues; some solids, some prints. Finally, I realized that this Amy Butler Lotus print (so versatile!) was ideal because it let me put the little flower center in the corner of the challah cover. It took a little fussing with circles to get it right (I still have to work on cutting and sewing circles), but I love the result.

Finally, I had to decide how to quilt it. I hemmed and hawed, debating free-motion quilting, echo quilting, grids, and more. In the end, a few simple lines that created just enough of a stripey look won out. I confess I started quilting thinking I might have to rip it all out. But I didn't.

Since the Lotus print worked so well at the center of the Dresden Plates, I opted to use it on the back. I chose the solid off-white binding because it brought the front together. While it doesn't make the back pop, I think it does its job. Overall, I'm really pleased with this challah cover; I had no idea what it would look like when I started it, and I love the final product.

It is, however, lacking a name. Any thoughts on a good name?

p.s. If you like Dresden Plates, check out Stephanie's. It's amazing, and how she has had the patience for a full quilt of them is beyond me.

4 comments:

Sarah October 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Wow! That is quite beautiful! Not to mention extremely impressive looking from a composition/quilting point of view.

I'm amazed by people who can do such neat curve and corners. Lucky for me, most clothes don't have them and I've not branched out beyond sewing clothes yet.

~Michelle~ October 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

seriously...you're making me want to be a bread baker, just so you have to send me a cover for it :)

Micki October 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

That cover is just stunning! It is just incredible....Best challah cover I ever saw!
Micki

sews1128 November 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM  

Beautiful challah cover. I'm hoping I'll get one with a Dresden Plate design for my birthday!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP