A Quilt for Claire & Michael

>> Saturday, December 27, 2008

Red shoes: check
Red wallet: check
Red pots: check

When thinking about what quilt to make for Claire & Michael, I knew it had to include red. While Claire doesn't wear much red, she has quite a few red accessories and it just felt like the right color. I hoped Michael would agree!

Hewing more closely to a quilt pattern than ever before, I made them a version of "Peppermint Twist" from Evelyn Sloppy's 40 Fabulous Quick-Cut Quilts (111-3).

If you were wondering what this stack and this border comprised, here it is in its (almost) entirety.


I started with the white-fabric-with-red-flowers I used in the middle and selected other fabrics to complement it.

I had just enough to make the quilt center and thought the red-with-white-curliques matched it well.

In looking for a striped border fabric (that I also used for the binding) I found the diagonal stripes. The more I sewed it, the more I liked it. I particularly appreciate that the lines are slightly irregular, with some thicker and some thinner and sometimes three thin lines between two thick ones and other time three varying widths lined up together. It's a little hard to see, but I mimicked the irregularities in the quilting by staggering the diagonal lines.

I backed the quilt with soft red fleece -- I'm still finding some tufts of it around my house. With the borders, the quilt is about 62" x 62" -- a nice lap quilt size that I hope Michael and Claire will use for years to come. I can imagine curling up under it to read on Friday nights after shabbat dinner as I know is their custom.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP