Peaceful Pile of Quilts

>> Wednesday, May 26, 2010

This pile has some newly made and older quilts, making this a sneak peek of sorts. I'm at a seminar/conference thing this week so I'm a little short on time for a longer post but coming soon...

In the meantime, for any free motion quilters out there, any tips on why the bottom fabric gets loops? I've cleaned, rethreaded, rewound the bobbin, played with the tension, and taken off and reattached my free motion foot but it's acting up. Any tips, suggestions, advice for what else to try, adjust, or fix?

4 comments:

felicity May 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM  

When you say you've played with the tension, what have you done? I have to really up the upper thread tension when I do FMQ. Like if normal is 3, I turn it to 8.

Anonymous May 26, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

Really check the bobbin area for lint. I sometimes find a little gob of lint in between the two moving parts of the bobbin area (I can see it in the little hole on one side when I turn the hand wheel). Sometimes the only way to get it out is a little drop of oil and gentle hand turning, then a pair of tweezers.
Also, try changing the needle.

Anonymous May 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

from what i understand (which is very little) sometimes no matter how much you turn up the upper tension the bobbin casing is still too tight, causing loops- especially as you curve. special bobbin casings are sold specifically for free motion quilting. just depends on whether they make them for your machine...
Sharon

Jennifer May 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

Lint was my first thought too. You may want to change your thread as well. I've found that cheaper thread tends to come off the bobbin differently...

I love your quilts, BTW!

Jennifer :)

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP