Friday Recipe: Chickpea Curry

>> Friday, May 7, 2010

I disappeared for a bit, totally unintentionally. I even have several blog posts written (mentally anyways!). But the semester finally came to an end, and I've been wrapping up a few things this week. I'll be spending my summer reading for exams, but I'm hoping to reward myself with some crafty projects as I complete the reading I need to do each day.

But first, I've got a chickpea curry recipe for you.

**Warning: I made it last week and didn't write anything down, so it's from memory and it relies on tasting and adjusting as necessary. If this isn't your cooking style, I recommend trying it (or not, it's up to you!).**

Chickpea Curry
Serves ~8-10

1 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
oil
3 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
tomato paste
2-3 medium tomatoes, chopped
~12 oz fresh spinach
1 c. vegetable broth (liquid or hot water + powder)
curry
coriander
cumin
crushed red pepper
salt
pepper

1. Add oil to large saute pan and add the onion and garlic. Stir over medium heat.

2. Add 2-3 tbsp {this is where I didn't measure so play around} of tomato paste and the tomatoes to the onion garlic mixture. Stir and let it cook into a sauce/gravy (~5 minutes).

3. Add some spices (start with the curry/coriander/cumin/red pepper in smaller amounts and add more to taste). You'll probably want more curry/coriander/cumin and less red pepper.

4. Add the chickpeas and stir. Let it cook for ~5 minutes.

5. Add 1 c. broth (or mix 1 c. hot water + powder broth, stir, and add). Stir.

6. Let everything cook over low heat until the liquid has reduced into a gravy-like texture. Stir occasionally (~ 1/2 hour). Taste occasionally, adding any or all of the spaces as you see fit.

7. Add spinach, mix in, and let it wilt into the chickpea mixture.

8. Taste again and add spices (e.g., salt and pepper) as necessary.

9. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Anonymous May 7, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Yay! I love curry and have a ton of chick peas, this will be lovely espessially with the chilly weather that has just rolled in.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP