Triangulate

>> Friday, June 29, 2012

In March, I asked my do.Good Stitches: Empower circle to make Triangle-in-Triangle blocks. They indulged my crazy idea, and I had a big pile of triangles to make into a quilt. For both time and design reasons, the triangles stayed in a pile for weeks, maybe even months. Although I loved experimenting with the triangle block, I never made a plan for how I would turn the triangles into a quilt top.

I tried a number of layouts -- rows, hexagons (big and giant), diamonds, trapezoids -- with a number of different color schemes -- like colors together, contrasting colors together, rainbows. None of them clicked. They just didn't feel right -- some were too chaotic, some lacked unity, some bored me. I returned the triangles to their piles and let them be.

One night, while annoyingly awake at 4 am, I thought anew about the layout problem. At which point I had the amazingly obvious pair of realizations: I love negative space and thus needed to use it with the triangles. I love irregular, geometric designs and thus needed to apply that idea to the triangles. So I did.

I connected some triangles and left others standing alone. I let some rows sit side-by-side, and I inserted some space between others. I started with some triangles farther apart and chopped fabric to bring some closer together. It changed along the way, as is my style, and I like the result. Now I just need to quilt it.

7 comments:

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans June 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM  

The one time something 'negative' is a postitve thing is when it is associated with 'space' - and your triangles!!! Looks awesome!

felicity June 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM  

Oh man do I ever love this.

Alison V. June 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM  

This is so beautiful! I don't know if I would have come up with that on my own, but it is sure perfect for those triangles.

~Michelle~ June 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM  

This is fantastic!! Whomever ends up with this is going to be thrilled!

Karissa June 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM  

This is so great! I especially love how some of them are cut off at the edges. Fantastic work, as always.

Amanda June 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM  

I love this quilt and the use of triangles! And the colors. Someone is going to love it.

Sarah Craig July 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM  

Very neat use of those triangles!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP