do. Good Stitches: October

>> Friday, October 21, 2011

It's been one of those weeks. Or, really those past couple of days that have stretched to feel like a week. Rainy, filled with work, challenging personally and professionally, exhausting. Time in which my bed seems like the best destination but once in it, my mind is racing so much that sleep fails me. Yep, truly delightful. Did I mention the 3 inches of rain over the past two days? Sogginess does not inspire me to go for a run even though I know exercise is good for me. And the furniture in my living room and dining room is in the center of each room, covered with tarps (all for good reasons, but it makes both the couch and my sewing machine unavailable to me). And my computer randomly shut itself off last night for no apparent reason (thank goodness for back-up copies and recovered versions of documents). After turning my computer back on, I checked my email and found a sweet piece of spam asking "do you model?" And I laughed and that felt good.

Oct 2011 block1
From Shannon

I buried myself under several blankets, finally got some sleep, and woke up this morning determined to turn things around. This means getting work done today and this weekend, but also doing some things for me -- some sewing, some hiking. And on the sewing front, it's time to make my blocks for do. Good Stitches.

Empower block
From Shelley

As I might have mentioned, I'm leading the new Empower Circle. I am one delinquent leader, for I posted my blocks in late September but have not yet made them. To be fair, I was away for 10 days without a sewing machine and then life got overwhelming. But in the spirit of empowerment and admiration for the fab blocks other group members have already made and sent me, it's time to make some Love in a Mist blocks.

October Block 1
From Heather

I cut out the pieces for my blocks (first picture) and asked my group to make blocks using a palette of warm fall colors -- deep purple, burnt orange, cranberry, gold, etc. I asked for a white background but also suggested that some blocks could flip the white and the color to create some reverse blocks.

Empower do. Good Stitches October
From Kelli

I also suggested that while I liked the scrappy blocks, a couple two-fabric ones (solids or prints) would add to the variation. I think there is something simple and stunning about this one:

do. good stitches oct block solid
From Heather

And with that, off to work and then later in the day or weekend, to sew. Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Esch House Quilts October 21, 2011 at 9:36 AM  

Hope your week is looking up! This is such a great block. I love them all, but the two solids one is amazing. I can just imagine how dramatic a whole quilt of those blocks would be :)

Karissa October 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM  

That quilt is going to be gorgeous!

(I'm having one of those weeks, too, so I feel your pain. Hope things are better soon!)

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP