Early to Rise

>> Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I blame the 2 cups of coffee I decided to consume yesterday afternoon. I've long known that I can't drink coffee after about 2 pm if I want to sleep at night, but coffee was calling my name yesterday afternoon. And it was quite helpful in making me more alert and thus helping get some work done. I even fell asleep. But I also woke up at 6 am, which is much earlier than I need to be up. And I really prefer to be sleeping. But I'm not, so I figured it was time for a blog post.

I've been waiting to post about these bags until I had a tutorial written up. I devised these fun little bags earlier this fall and have been making prototypes gifts out of them. The one above, for example, made its way into my friend Amanda's hands for he birthday. I've learned a lot from the generosity of other people's tutorials and want to give back. Consider this post a preview of a tutorial to come.

I made the scarf for my friend Claire last spring. I intended to make a coordinating bag then too, but somehow did not. So she received a very late birthday present, but it had two components. I do love this Amy Butler print.

See that magenta and orange fabric sticking out in the back? That bag now lives in lovely Vermont, with my friend Leah. And that front bag? I made it for myself. I finally cut into my Laura Gunn fabric stash. I admit I've been hoarding it, afraid to apply the wonders of rotary cutting lest I mess up. But I waded in, and love the fabric, especially next to the deep blue denim.

The bag intentionally has 2 different size handles, thus allowing the longer one to feed through the shorter one and "close" the bag. I've been using it for a month or so now, and rather like this feature. Also the bag can swing from your wrist, which I find enticing.


Sew Mama Sew's Annual Giveaway Day is next week, Monday, December 13 to be precise. There might just be a bag waiting for you. Perhaps some fabric too. Stay tuned!


6 comments:

Anonymous December 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Cute bags! Late or not, these are great gifts

melissa December 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM  

I absolutely LOVE your bags and can't wait for the tutorial to make my own! Great job!

~Michelle~ December 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

Ooh, can't wait to see the tutorial! How big does the bag end up being?? I'm intrigued!

Anonymous December 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

Yay, I am so happy that you finally made something for yourself!

--Amy

Elsa December 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

love this bag design! it's lovely ...

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP