Margaret's Hope Chest

>> Thursday, October 22, 2009


Craft Hope has teamed with Margaret's Hope Chest, in Grand Rapids, MI, for its current project, Hope Squared: providing a quilt for each child in the Grand Rapids Public School System who is homeless over winter break. I'm really glad to see this partnership as it helps address one of the challenges I noted in my initial post about Craft Hope last spring: the tension between international and domestic needs. I'm glad to see this domestic (and, for me, more local) effort to assist people in need.

I'll be using some of the strips and fabric I have left from the Miracle Foundation quilts (#2 and #3 are in progress...need to make the backings, quilt, and bind them) to make at least one MHC quilt. If I can squeeze out the time before November 15, I'll make another MHC quilt as well (see their blog here); I've got some fleece with which to back them, as I think that will be especially nice for the Michigan winter.

There are two quilt patterns available on the Craft Hope website, commissioned especially for this project. Kathy of Pink Chalk Studios created the I Spy Lollipop Quilt and Malka of A Stitch in Dye put together the very clever Take-Along Quilt, complete with a handle for rolling up and easily transporting (a small but very important adjustment).

For those who are new to sewing/quilting or are pressed for time, you can even send quilt tops to the group and they'll finish them for you! Get them in the mail to:

Margaret's Hope Chest
630 Griswold SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507

This post gives even more information.

2 comments:

Micki October 22, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

That's a lovely cause, and it is wonderful to work on a project like that.
Micki

Anonymous January 21, 2010 at 6:52 AM  

It was certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some images :).

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP