Curves Ahead

>> Thursday, May 24, 2012

It's only taken 14 years, but I've finally taught myself how to piece precise curves. I'm glad I waited, because I'm a big fan of the "no-pin and trim" method (also taught in Rachel's Curves class). I only pin when absolutely necessary, and even then I try to find ways around such tedium. I have a plan for a larger quilt, but the goal was to smart small. I thought I had printed some templates out before I left Michigan. I mean, I had printed them, but I thought I actually had them with me. But no, I left them in a pile of papers back home. And I don't have easy access to a printer right now.

Never fear, there's always a way. Such a way might include, for example, tracing templates from the laptop screen. Press gently. It will work. Even with drafty templates and no pins, the pieces basically line up. That looks pretty circular, right? Trimming is the key, and it's really quite effective with drunkard's path blocks. Even if the block sews up a little tipsy (because that Belgian beer was super delicious), it's fixable.

I limited myself to one storage box of fabric when I left Michigan for this temporary jaunt away. I chose to bring my box of solids plus a few other prints for a couple of planned quilts (this not being one of them, of course). But one of the prints worked for the back, and Betty's Orange clamored to serve as the binding. That's a siren's call I can't resist. Ditto on the seductive curves. Now that I've made them, I'm captivated.

5 comments:

Rachel at Stitched in Color May 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM  

Such a very cool design! I'm loving that your creativity is able to run now!!!

Karissa May 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM  

Looks fantastic, of course - reminds me of phases of the moon for some reason; maybe the colors? I love love love the cute quilting pattern you used!

Anonymous May 27, 2012 at 7:15 AM  

Beautiful work - your curves are fantastic. Love the orange binding! It rocks!

Sarah May 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM  

Wow! That is awesome! Now that you have conquered curves does this mean you will consider sewing clothes more !? :-)

Leanne June 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM  

Your curves are excellent, thanks for the link to my video.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP