My Morning Walk

>> Thursday, January 13, 2011

I'm now ensconced in my brother's apartment in DC. It's the perfect location for me: I can walk to the Library of Congress and to the National Archives downtown. There's a metro stop 5 minutes away that places me on the line I need to use to get to other libraries and archives. I knew this would be a great place to live, but I didn't realize how great until I got here. I love cities, and I love walking in cities. I get to walk around DC every day and look at some pretty amazing buildings, like Senate office buildings.

Or the Supreme Court. The line of people is waiting to attend oral arguments. I want to try and observe one myself this winter. Although I grew up in this area, I've never been inside the Supreme Court, and I'm a little bit of a junkie. Handily, it's immediately adjacent to the Library of Congress where I'm spending many of my waking hours these days.

Although the snow melted by the evening, the little dusting we got was sparkly yesterday morning. For those of you from non-snowy climates, not all winters are the same. Compared to the Midwest, the East Coast is much sunnier in the winter. All of these pictures connect to quilting as well. Project Modern's Challenge 2 is a monochromatic quilt. DC architecture, with all its white/grey stone and marble, not to mention exquisite detailing, has given me a lot of ideas. I don't know if any of them will make it beyond my head, but it's fun to make the world around me into quilts as I walk to work.

3 comments:

LT January 13, 2011 at 9:29 AM  

Welcome to DC! It is a great city, I've been here for about 7 years now, and I love it more every year. I hope you get to stay awhile and love it as much as I do.

~Michelle~ January 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM  

I was enamored with DC when I visited a couple years ago (well, minus the traffic which is WORSE than LA)! I would love to have such instant access to all of those gorgeous buildings. :)

Anonymous January 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM  

Check out the quilt collection at the DAR.

Sharon

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP