Double Trouble: A Community Book for Torie & Todd

>> Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A couple weeks ago, I showed you the crafty results of a baby shower. I didn't, however, show you what I brought with me to the shower.

Nope, not quilts. Those aren't made yet. But I did complete this community book in time to wrap it and see it unwrapped in person (always a pleasure!).

What is a community book, you might ask.

Community books are a little thing I came up with a few years ago for my friends, the new parents (though they could certainly be made for any reason). 

While all gifts for babies are, in a way, for the parents, these books are really for the parents. 

 They gather gift certificates and gifts of time -- meals, babysitting, laundry, DVD delivery, etc. 

Everyone who joins in contributes $10 (for the gift certificate) and 1 service (of the person's choosing).

Then I make cards for the services, get the gift certificates, and put it all together).

Making this one for Torie and Todd had its challenges -- both known and self-imposed. 


[This might be my favorite design; when the Starbucks gift card is removed, there are black lines from the flowers to the green grass, intended to evoke a window box.]


[This runs a close second and is extra special because the green leaves remained from a book I made for Torie and Todd's wedding...a bit of continuity, if you will.]

Back to the challenges....First, unlike my previous versions, I no longer live where Torie and Todd and most of the people contributing reside. 

I therefore enlisted the help of a friend to collect money and get the gift certificates (a technical solution, as she would say). 

Second, I challenged myself to stick to a color scheme -- green, blue, and yellow. 

I'm not always good at restricting myself to part of the color wheel. So I added silver too.


And a piece from an old Nikki McClure calendar.

 Third, I challenged myself to construct the book (pages through the binding) by myself. 

The gift certificate for a massage might be the best part of the book. 
In fact, I wouldn't mind one of those myself.


Though I like the monkeys too.

And all the awesome services wonderful friends donated, all decked out on cards like these, with the service and contact info on the other side.


洋裝 February 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

人必須心懷希望,才會活的快樂,日子才過得充實,有意義,有朝氣,有信心。 ..................................................

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by 2008

Back to TOP